Saturday, November 7, 2009

The blues

We all utilize the word "blues" to define a depressed mood, and music known as "the blues" is known for it's melancholic nature and awesome musicianship with is often produced by solo artists.

One of my favorite musicians is Eric Clapton, I always appreciated his guitar playing, melancholic lyrics (who doesn't get choked up by "Tears In Heaven"?), and related to some of the difficulties he has overcome (substance abuse, depression, broken relationships). Too bad I never became a rock star!!!

Clapton has always made his blues influence known in song and when discussing music. Several of his hits are remakes of classic blues tunes from such notables as Robert Johnson, J.J. Cale, Buddy Guy, and B.B. King.

While You Tubing earlier, I listened to "San Francisco Bay Blues", a song Clapton used on his 1992 album "Unplugged". I knew it was a remake of an old blues tune, but never took the time to research it's origin until today.You Tube offered a "Peter, Paul, & Mary" version of "San Francisco Bay Blues", and I decided to put it on to see how different it would be than Clapton's.

Peter, Paul, & Mary offer a brief intro to the song which is a lovely tribute to Jesse Fuller who originally wrote the song.

The reason I explain all this is that the introduction to Jesse Fuller, a blues man, is one of the most accurate definitions of depression I've ever heard, yet it was not intended as such at all.

Jesse Fuller is presented as a "One man show" who wrote excruciating sad lyrics, but didn't want to sadden people so he put them to beautiful catchy melodies.

Depression for me has always felt like a "One man show", it's "MY" depression, it makes me brutally sad on the inside, but not wanting to sadden others, I put my sadness to a "beautiful melody". "Yes I feel like this, but....", "It's sad now, but..."

I don't know if Jesse Fuller was depressed, but a "one man show" (loneliness, isolation), sad lyrics (emotions, feelings), sharing his feelings with the public in an "acceptable" way that won't make others uncomfortable. That sounds familiar.

As mentioned earlier, blues music is known for it's melancholic mood, and people often refer to that music as one they listen to when sad. Maybe there's more to why that is than some commonly accepted belief.

Here's the link to the Peter, Paul, & Mary version of "San Francisco Bay Blues"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59pvOVcwXw&feature=related

No comments: