Sunday, February 13, 2011

What makes you depressed?

Do you get bored, angry, and eventually depressed by repetition? I know I am.

I recall going to the doctor's (same doctor!!), and I would be asked the same questions I had the last 10 visits ("Do you want to harm yourself or others?", "Do you find enjoyment in things you used to?", "On a scale from 1-10 where would you put your happiness?")

If this is the criteria for "treating" depression, why aren't sufferers simply given a set of questions they can review every four weeks?

How can anyone claim medically "treating" someone if all they do is ask the same questions and interpret the answers?

Freud has been dismissed because he was not "scientific", how is today's psychiatric medicine "scientific"?

1 comment:

Mademoiselle A. said...

Hum, I guess it's because we already feel stuck in a vicious circle of our own emotions and that the person in front of us does not really know how to deal with our problem(s). That person follows the book and we just feel more alone and more "incompris". I get frustrated to try to explain how I feel to those idiots because they think their diagnostic and treatment is based on their multiple choice questions. Waste of time.. I might as well answer quizzes in magazines..