Saturday, February 26, 2011

Medication

In Canada, antidepressant medication is the most prescribed medication, and for good reason....People are depressed.

The question I'd like to raise is whether antidepressant medications (SSRI's being the most common) truly help people live happier lives or if they help people be happy "enough".
My experience with SSRI's has been so-so, and not because of the medication itself (IE. It never made me exuberant, but I've also never had significant negative side effects).

The first time I was prescribed an antidepressant, I had no clue I was depressed, went to a walk in clinic and the doctor (seeing me for the first time and I was in the office maybe 10 minutes) prescribed "Fluoxetine". It sounded good that a medication good be prescribed, but when I got home (and yes, I should have done this at the doctor's office which I now diligently do) I looked up "Fluoxetine". It's Prozac.

The fact a doctor (who knew nothing about me or my previous history (medical or otherwise)) prescribed Prozac truly through me off. How dare he medicate me for depression when he knows nothing about me. Would he have sent me to chemo if I'd said I'd smoked for 10 years?

After a couple more prescriptions (Paxil and Effexor) which I took A) Reluctantly and B) With false hopes, I didn't get much better.

Back on Effexor I am much better, but I also had some talk therapy, group therapy, a better understanding of depression, and solid relationships in which I'm comfortable discussion my issues.

I believe I will be depressive my whole life, but not necessarily depressed.

Medication helps stabilize my mood and my functioning, but it's talking about it with therapists, family and friends, blogging, looking inwardly, and understanding myself that makes me happy.

No comments: