Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thoughts

Isolation is a commonly known symptom of depression. That’s precisely why non-depressives need to get involved (because part of depression is difficulty to socialize).

The verb “enable” is defined as “to make able; give power, means, competence, or ability to; authorize: This document will enable him to pass through the enemy lines unmolested.”
But when used to explain to behaviour of “helping” a person struggling with substance abuse or mental illness, it always has a negative connotation.
As we see in that definition, one can “enable” positively another. Why don’t we “enable” others to sobriety, health?
When thinking of “enabling” destructive behaviour, we usually think of it originating from the substance abuser / mentally ill person, as if they’re taking advantage of others.
What about when the substance abuser / mentally ill person is “enabled” by people who encourage their behaviour?
Since it’s easier to see in public figures or people of notoriety, and I know a lot about sports, I will athletes as examples. I will find it extremely hypocritical when men such as John Daly, Sean Avery, even Mike Tyson get better (or worse) and people will give the boring statements of “we always knew he could get better” or “it’s so sad, we should have seen the signs and done something.” Those are nothing but excuses to justify their inaction.
I don’t recall ever being helped in a truly altruistic way. Of course every person which has helped me along the way wanted me to get better, but the main goal of “helping” has always come off as selfish to me since the expected result is that I become “normal” (IE. Work, pay bills, fend for myself) which is precisely the type of life that depressed me.
I believe several people do not seek help for depression precisely because they feel (rightfully so) they will basically be taught / told how to be “normal” which is what makes them depressed to begin with.

No comments: