Tuesday, December 23, 2008

December 23rd 2008

Today was a great day!! Got up at 8AM went out for a short run on a cold, snowy morning with snow-filled and icy sidewalks. It was invigorating and felt awesome. Came back home, did a few chores, and went back out for a nice long walk in downtown Vancouver, through Stanley Park and took a few pictures (See my Facebook page).

I learned a great lesson today. My circumstances were not really any different than yesterday, tomorrow they’ll likely be very similar again. Today I felt good, and it was easy to get up, go running, make productive decisions. Several factors helped that, some I can control (good night’s sleep, eat well), others I don’t control (the bright sunshine this morning was a great motivator to go outside).
The lesson for me is that I only control part of my mood. That the part I don’t control will sometimes be crappy, other times good. When it’s crappy, to go ahead, at least, with what I do control (not let myself get overwhelmed by that which I don’t control), and when it’s good, to recognize that and appreciate that I am only partly responsible.

2 comments:

Caro said...

I'm just giving this a try. It's you know who. lol

Caro said...

I read the first half of Frankls' book not too long ago. It was recommended by someone I really respected a few years ago. I'm not one to read self help books or books of that ilk.

I think if I was really interested in finding 'answers' I'd have to read it again. Fortunately, I don't have to do that. I certainly didn't dislike it as much as I anticipated. I really can't stomach books, movies etc about brutal bigotry and hatred but surprisingly I didn't find it overwhelming in that way.

It was interesting to read his thoughts and observations on what inspires hope in people under seemly hopeless conditions. Still, I wonder if 'hope'is as subjective as one's understanding of a God or higher power etc. Even within organized religion each person brings their own history or life experiences that colors their faith.